the Fan

Writer’s Seminars

Studying various published authors has given me a lot of insight as to what it takes to be good/successful. As groups discussed the various tips and tricks that their chosen writer shares, practising was always one of them. In studying them, that practice is what i got. After each presentation, the opportunity to emulate a different person’s idea or writing style was extremely valuable. It forced me to look at and approach a piece from angle different than one i would have. In writing, creatively especially, being able to write from various perspectives and in various styles is extrememly important. From participating in these seminars, I was able to not only recognise that idea but also to practice it.

Jandy Nelson

I am extremely happy with the author I chose to present to the class. Her writing influenced not only my viewpoint not only the various themes she explores (such as love, family, loss and identity etc) but also my take on writing. From her I learned the value of taking risks and being bold in my writing, I was glad to be able to share that lesson with my peers.

Another author I had highly considered choosing was J Cole. His written work of choice is more poetic and designed to be lyrical and couples with a beat. Despite all these apparent differences from Jandy’s style, his work provides me with much of the same experience and inspiration that Jandy’s does. In his writing and storytelling, he isnt afraid to speak of unpopular opinions and perspectives. This level of hinestly and bravey is something i really respect and wish i was able to apply as effectively as he does. In the end, I chose to explore an writer who is less popular, hopefully, to provide people with a source of inspiration that is less mainstream and accessible.

Genres 

While I am open to reading most genres, I have a particular interest in realistic fiction, historical fiction, and fantasy. These genres serve to not only expand my knowledge of the world but also to challenge my opinions and beliefs, and for that reason, I love them.

What I learned/ What Inspired Me

Many of the writers that were presented during this process were unfamiliar to me. While I knew the names of most, I was largely unfamiliar with their work. From having my peers introduce and explain the works and ideas of these various writers to me, I learned to give up judgement. While I am open to reading many different genres and exploring the works of different authors, certain subject matter and writing styles come with a stigma. Not wanting to waste my time on something I predict I will not enjoy, I sometimes avoid the unfamiliar. These brief biographies and informational discussions really allowed me to look beyond my shallow judgements and make way for the open-minded exploration of all literature.

From the writer’s themselves, I was able to gather learn a lot about the dedication, drive and honesty it takes to be a writer. Many of the people that were discussed were said to find inspirations in their own lives and write what they did to fulfil a personal desire. As someone who started this semester trying to cater to an audience, this lesson was a very valuable one. Writing for yourself is what allows for the creation of the most honest and powerful work. The ability and desire of many authors to do just that was very inspiring.

Blogger

lauryn’s compartmentalism– Lauryn’s writing is always full of beautiful imagery and symbolism. Her pieces are anything but simplistic, capturing their readers’ full attention in just the first few lines. The complexity of her layered ideas has never failed to impress me. Even being one of her closest friends, I can’t say that her writing has never been predictable. For these reasons and many more, I will never stop loving her writing. As she is an artist, it expected that her blog aesthetic and theme would be visually pleasing. Nonetheless, it is important to mention how evidently deliberate each stylistic element of her blog is.

Claire is in Space– I was drawn to Claire’s writing after hearing her share her emulations and journal entries in class. Her style and voice came across as very confident and mature in even those quick writes. That same idea is very true in terms of her blog pieces as well. Her writing is unlike anything I have ever read. She offers a new and fresh perspective while staying true to herself. Additionally, I also appreciate how much of her personality and interests shine through her chosen blog theme and aesthetic.

The Girl with the Purple Soul– Its a commonly known fact that Jade is an extremely talented writer. With that being said, her work never fails to leave me in awe. She delves into very difficult topics with brutal honesty and creates pieces that are beautiful to read. Her unfiltered voice and personalized writing structures set her apart from anything I have ever read. Her chosen website graphics and aesthetic also compliment her writing perfectly, making he blog the perfect full package.

Other Authors

Khaled Hosseinii- for when I want to learn/ when I am prepared to cry

Cassandra Clare- for when I crave something a little fantastical

Rupi Kaur- when I want someone to say the things that I cannot

Jenny Han- for when i have time to fill and no desire to think too deeply